Coblentz Society News & Events

We’ll share links to interesting news stories, announce Coblentz events and more.

IR & Raman Courses spectral interpretation, sampling and instrumentation

New Schedule Posted

The 2024 schedule of courses is now online. Learn more. 

Dr. David A. Long

2024 Coblentz Award Winner

The Society has announced that the 2024 Coblentz Award winner is Dr. David A. Long, project leader in the Photonics and Optomechanics group at the National Institute of Standards and Technology .  Learn more.

Dr. Ishan Barman

2024 Williams-Wright Award Winner

The 2024 Williams-Wright Award will be presented to Dr. Jun Zhao at Pittcon on Wednesday, February 28 in the morning session. Please join us.

Mary Lewis & Barry Lavine

Election News

Welcome to our new Board of managers members Mary Lewis and Barry Lavine!

70th anniversary Coblentz Society

Coblentz Society Turns 70

In honor of our 70th anniversary year, we will be selling re-branded polo shirts on an individual order basis.  Stay tuned for more information as it becomes available.

Three-Minute Thesis Talks. Elevator talks by select graduate students. Society for Applied Spectroscopy and The Coblentz Society

Coming March 2024

Based on the last three very successful Graduate Student Slam Presentations (a.k.a., Elevator Talks or Three-Minute Thesis Presentations), we are doing a repeat performance for 2024! The first three events resulted in outstanding presentations from across the world with 42% of presentations from USA and Canada with the other 58% from Europe. So far, we have had 56 talks from 11 countries, 29 universities, and one high school. Abstract submission information and form.

More information.

Nominations sought for the 2024 Coblentz Student awards

Nomination Deadline – February 29

The Coblentz Society is accepting nominations for the 2024 Coblentz Student Awards and William G. Fateley Award, but there is only a little over one month left!  Get those nomination packages ready for outstanding students in vibrational spectroscopy and send them out soon. Learn more. 

Soliciting nominations for 2024 Honorary Membership in the Coblentz Society

Honorary Membership

The Board of Management at its discretion, and by the affirmative vote of two-thirds of the Managers, may elect as Honorary Members of the Society individuals who are deemed to have made outstanding contributions to the field of vibrational spectroscopy or to any other field related to the purposes of the Society. Send nominations to office@coblentz.org.

Cover of Applied Spectroscopy Practica, Volume 1, Issue 2

Second Issue of Applied Spectroscopy Practica

Stay tuned for Volume 1, Issue 2, of Applied Spectroscopy Practica. Look for information on education and the relationship of the professional societies to instrument development.  Learn more.

Alexis Weber

2023 Fateley Award Winner

The Society has announced that the 2023 William G. Fateley Award winner is Alexis Weber, a Ph.D. candidate within the Chemistry Department at the University at Albany, SUNY.  Learn more.

2023 Coblentz Student Award Winners

2023 Coblentz Student Winners

Sevde Erkok, Aleksandr Razumtcev, Daniel Schäfer, Thulay Chakkumpulakkai, and Danuta Liberda are the winners of the 2023 Coblentz Society Student Awards.  Learn more.

Dr. Ishan Barman

2023 Craver Award Winner

The 2023 Craver Award winner is Ishan Barman, Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical Engineering at the Johns Hopkins University with joint appointments in Oncology and Radiology.  He has gained recent attention for real-time, multiplexed detection of viruses in saliva.  Learn more.

Peter Griffiths

2023 Lippincott Award Winner

The 2023 Ellis R. Lippincott Award will be presented to Peter R. Griffiths, Professor and Chair Emeritus, Department of Chemistry, University of Idaho, at SciX 2023. He is recognized for unique achievements and significant contributions to vibrational spectroscopy. Learn more.

Coblentz Society T-shirts

Coblentz Society T-shirts!

Show your support for the Coblentz Society with one of our new T-shirts.  If you would like to order one or more, visit the Coblentz Store!

Coblentz Society Sponsor Program

Coblentz Society Sponsors

The Society has launched a corporate Sponsor program. If you are interested in gaining the benefits of the sponsorship, please contact mary.carrabba@coblentz.org for more information.